Leaders for Life
This exciting new space for learning and supporting leadership will
open in the summer of 2018. The Northern Star Leadership Center will
offer a full curriculum, leveraging technology with more than a century
of experience in training young people to become leaders.
The Leadership Center will extend our Base Camp Campus, offering
additional, focused, learning by doing leadership experiences. It will
continue to extend Scouting’s positive influence and educational
approach beyond the 240,000 participants who have already taken part in
in Base Camp programming since opening in 2010. The leadership Center
will further expand our successful model of serving those inside and
outside of Scouting, with 85% of participants coming from schools,
other youth groups and community organizations.
New Building, A New Name
The formal name of the new facility is the Peter J. King Family
Foundation Leadership Center in honor of the foundation’s generous lead
gift to make the project a reality. The new center will feature:
- A gathering atrium/welcome area for groups and individuals
- Multiple meeting rooms, configurable for sizes up to 150 participants
- A Leadership Lab - a space designed and dedicated to leadership
training. Participants will enter through a high tech, enhanced-reality
“Leadership Chamber Room” for an immersive experience that will set the
stage for the training and then reused during the sessions.
- Northern Star Council BSA Headquarters - Office space for the
entire council staff at a single site rather than the current St. Paul
and Golden Valley office locations
- Expanded Scout Shop – A retail store for Scouting uniforms, program, and outdoor supplies
- A new outdoor climbing tower and expanded team-focused outdoor high ropes and challenge course elements
See On-Site Construction Progress
The building was designed by the Cunningham Group and is being built by
Mortenson Construction. The funds were raised through the “Leaders. For
Life” Capital Campaign.